Treatment for Separation Anxiety

by mady

What sort of treatment should someone with separation anxiety seek?????? help!! :)


Hi Mady

Someone with separation anxiety should seek help in the form of a therapist who they feel comfortable with and who is a good fit for them. Usually you can tell after meeting with someone 1 or 2 times if you like them as a therapist.

Your therapist should understand how to help you feel less fearful about your separation anxiety by giving you homework exercises where you confront it successfully.

You should understand why you are doing these exercises and through them should learn how facing your anxiety reduces it, and how avoiding it strengthens it.

You should also work with your therapist to determine how you can successfully beat your anxiety in the future if it crops up again.

You and your therapist may choose to involve loved ones in your treatment, in case they are enabling you and thus making your anxiety worse.

Good Luck to you Mady!


Kristen McClure

This Website is Not Intended to Give Medical Advice

The contents of this website such as text, graphics, and other material are for informational purposes only. The Content is not intended as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your physician, or other qualified mental health provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of Content found on this Website.

If you have a medical emergency or 911 immediately.

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Question about separation anxiety.

Check out our online facebook support community for parents of kids with mood disorders 

Search my site with google custom search!

Medical information obtained from our website is not intended as a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you have a problem, you should consult a healthcare provider.