My son turned 18 before receiving two diagnoses

from two different psychiatrists. The first diagnosis was, I believe, the bipolar 2, the second diagnosis was cyclothymic disorder. It's hard to tell, because my son was over 18 when he was diagnosed (as a result of almost flunking out of high school because he wouldn't get out of bed), and once a child becomes an adult, the amount of information a medical provider will give to a parent is limited. He was given medications, which he took briefly (about a month) and then stopped taking without informing his psychiatrist. He then refused to go to the psychiatrist any more. He had been accepted into college, and left for college where he took a small number of classes, which he rarely attended, and got terrible grades. He has now returned home from college, and is disrupting the house. He argues with me about everything, including about how it is unreasonable for me to refuse to help him send marijuana through the mail, and how it is unreasonable for me to ask him not to play music loudly in the house at 3 a.m. This would be fine if it were just me (well, not fine, but bearable), but the disruption is having a negative effect on his younger sibling who had really blossomed after his brother took himself and his constant disruptions, arguments, door slamming, weed use, physical menacing, etc., out of the house when he went to college. His sleep patterns have stabilized, I am not noticing signs of mania, hypomania, or depression, but the kid is very, very difficult to live with. I wonder what help a parent can give a bipolar adult child (if he is bipolar) when the child refuses help (in fact seems almost to relish doing the opposite of what I suggest). I have told him he has to follow house rules or move out (he could live with his father, so he would still be safe). He refuses to follow the rules. What options are there?

Click here to post comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to Bipolar disorder in Teen. Share your questions and stories..

Check out our online facebook support community for parents of kids with mood disorders 

Search my site with google custom search!

Medical information obtained from our website is not intended as a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you have a problem, you should consult a healthcare provider.