9 year old child who becomes emotionally overwhelmed

by Victoria
(Texas )

My 9yr old daughter over-reacts irrationally several times a day, and I do not understand the reason. She is a very compliant child and these "fits" (I don't know what to call them) have nothing to do with not getting what she wants or unwillingness to obey.

She is extremely irritable with her 5yr old brother with whom she has always had a wonderful relationship. She gets her feelings hurt very easily. She especially tantrums when she feels she has made a mistake on a drawing, etc. She melts down whenever something is what she considers difficult to do or something she feels she should be able to do.

When being corrected she looks almost terrified and begins to weep repentantly making discipline seem unnecessary. However I generally follow through and she always accepts the consequence without resistance.

I am always certain to reaffirm my unconditional love for her and my commitment to do what I should that is for her welfare, and she responds affectionately so I have no reason to think that she does not believe me. Once I a while, however, she has responded by saying that she is a "horrible" person and that conflicts with brother are all her fault. I am very careful to be sure to never send that kind of message so I have no idea why she would feel this way.

I was verbally abused by my alcoholic/bipolar father so I am extremely sensitive about saying or doing anything that would wound her or make her feel that she is not loved or valued. She has a great relationship with her father and I. Our priority as parents is to love our children well and make them feel secure and treasured. They are not indulged and are very well behaved and obedient children who are joyful and lighthearted.

This is why I don't know if this just her temperament, her emotionally immaturity or if I simply a behavior that needs to be corrected. When she does have this fits she carries on like a toddler that has been seriously injured. Our home is very loving and stable. My husband and I have a very healthy, loving relationship and adore our children. We spend lots of time with both of them and all play together daily. She is very outgoing, silly and affectionate and is highly intelligent and creative. She has a very stable and loving home and many closet friendships.

I just don't understand her emotional volatility. I worry about her so much in this area because my childhood was very traumatic and crushed my self esteem.

I have bipolar 2 with predominately depression and have only recently finally come fully out of depression after almost 6 years of treatment. My symptoms first appeared when I was her age although I was almost a-emotional because of fear of my father and a emotionally unavailable yet loving mother. I don't know if these are symptoms or simply a behavioral issue. How do I know? What do I do? I am so worried about her and am so fearful that she has bipolar disorder too:(

Hi Victoria

It is wonderful to here how aware and conscientious of a parent you are. Understanding how your history impacts you is important. I think it might be helpful to get your child into therapy. Although I have no idea why she is so sensitive, it may be worth checking into to see if there are issues there which are contributing to the difficulties you are observing.

You said you recently came out of six years of depression. How has that effected your children? Are they aware of it? It certainly seems important to check into why it is so hard for her to be corrected, and also into where some of her guilt may be coming from. I'm sorry that this has taken me so long to respond to. Somehow, I completely missed your submission. Please feel free to update us on her progress!


Kristen McClure

Comments for 9 year old child who becomes emotionally overwhelmed

Average Rating starstarstarstarstar

Click here to add your own comments

Sep 30, 2015
Maybe a Highly Sensitive Child NEW
by: Anonymous

It sounds like this girl may be a Highly Sensitive Person according to Elaine Aron's research. You should check out her website, hsperson.com and the quizzes available there. When I found out that I was a Highly Sensitive Person, the world suddenly made sense. Elaine Aron has written a book that might help if you feel it applies, The Highly Sensitive Child. I have a Highly Sensitive child and I know how difficult it can be, even as a HS person myself. Hopefully this is helpful information.

Feb 06, 2015
9 year old stressed out to the point of almost panic attacks NEW
by: Anonymous

My daughter also 9 has episodes where she gets really stressed out mainly with her younger siblings aged 8-6-4 she starts crying goes very red in the face and start to have a sort of panic attack can't breath sweating and struggles to calm down I've talked to her about this to see if their are problems in school she said no and normally would tell me if there was anyway, she told me she gets stressed in school too if there is a time limit on work that she's doin ( if the teacher says she has 30 min to complete a piece of work) she is a very advanced/ clever child so don't understand why things like this get to her her teacher has told me that my child is the only pupil in the class that she doesn't have to help with anything and that everything she does is 110% so I'm really struggling to understand what is happening she says she doesn't no why she gets this way and that she can stop herself from crying but the hot feeling and sweating she can't ive also asked her with her being one of four children of she is lacking attention from me Nd her father or if we are relying on her or if she just needs some good old quality one on one time me her and her dad she says no she gets all the attention cuddles etc that she needs. I don't want to take her to the gp because I don't want for them to say she needs medication to help channel anger/ panic attacks or what ever they are she's having and then the medication take away who she really is she but then I think what if it's a Dr that she needs I'm at a total loss and don't no what to do I want the best for all my babies and hate seeing her this way it breaks my heart any advice would be greatly appreciated and took on board.

Click here to add your own comments

Join in and write your own page! It's easy to do. How? Simply click here to return to bipolar and adhd, adhd or bipolar?.

Check out our online facebook support community for parents of kids with mood disorder. 

Medical information obtained from our website is not intended as a substitute for professional care. If you have or suspect you have a problem, you should consult a healthcare provider.

Search my site with google custom search!

Schedule online now
Enter Your E-mail Address
Enter Your First Name (optional)

Don't worry — your e-mail address is totally secure.
I promise to use it only to send you Kristen Mcclure Newsletter .

Search this site for whatever you are looking for!